Residents Businesses Visitors Government Search Directory Home
Office of the Parish Attorney

Line Break
Division Summary
Line Break
Office of Alcoholic Beverage Control and Gaming Enforcement
Line Break
City Prosecutor
Line Break
Line Break
Pretrial Diversion
Blue Bullet Pre-trial Traffic Diversion Program
  Blue Bullet Pre-trial Diversion Online Traffic School
  Blue Bullet Pre-trial Traffic Diversion FAQ's
Line Break
Line Break
  Risk Management
Line Break
Legal Services
Line Break
Adjudicated Property
Line Break
ABC Board Agenda This document is in PDF format.  Download the free viewer from
Line Break
Code of Ordinances
Line Break

Workers' Compensation



  1. What is Workers’ Compensation?
  2. If you get hurt on the job, your employer is required by law to pay for workers’ compensation benefits.

  3. Who is covered by the Workers’ Compensation Law?
  4. Most employees in Louisiana are covered from the day they start employment. “Employees” may be full or part-time, seasonal or minors.

  5. What are benefits?

  6. Benefits can include medical treatment and care, temporary loss time benefits, rehabilitation, permanent total disability benefits and death benefits. Medical expenses are paid 100% from the first day of a compensable claim. You will be required to use YOUR sick, vacation or compensatory time for the first seven days from the time of your accident/injury.

  7. What is the PROCESS when you get hurt on the job?

  • Report the injury to your employer -this is critical! Make sure you report your injury immediately to your supervisor.

  • Assist your supervisor in completing the Employer Report of Injury/Illness form.

  • If no medical care is required, your supervisor will forward to the Risk Management/Workers’ Compensation Division to be placed on file.

  • If medical treatment is required, your supervisor should contact the Risk Management/Workers’ Compensation Division and forward the report (when possible, within 48 hours). Employee will be sent to the facility designated by your employer. (Upon request, an employee may seek treatment from their personal physician)

  • After the initial doctor’s visit, all medical visits/treatment should be authorized by the Risk/Workers’ Compensation Division.

  • All lost time related to injury/illness must be reported to both your supervisor and the Risk/Workers’ Compensation Division.

  • An employee, who has lost time in excess of (7) days, must submit a doctor’s release from the treating physician or treating facility to both their supervisor and the Risk Management/Workers’ Compensation Division to return to work.

  • An employee must contact their supervisor and the Risk Management/Workers’ Compensation Division identifying their treatment plan and progress.

There are several options for City-Parish employees to receive medical treatment with doctor’s offices that have agreed to see patients promptly:

  • You may go to the Total Occupational Medicine at 3333 Drusilla Lane, Baton Rouge, La.;

  • Concentra Medical Center at 3235 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, La.; or

  • In the case of an emergency, the Emergency Room at Our Lady of the Lake Hospital is preferred. Of course, in a life or death injury or illness, always go to the nearest medical facility available.

  • If you need to have prescriptions filled, you will be given a Progressive Medical “First Fill” card from your attending physician. This card can be used at participating national pharmacy chains.


The Claims Adjuster from the Workers’ Compensation Division assigned to your case may contact you for further information, a recorded statement and authorizations for medical histories. If you have problems with Workers’ Compensation medical or payroll benefits, contact our office at 389-3267 so that we can promptly address your concerns. If you are receiving Workers’ Compensation INDEMNITY payments, please contact Retirement, Payroll and the Credit Union regarding your deductions.

  • 225/389-3267 Workers’ Compensation
  • 225/389-5494 (Facsimile)