What is it?
Community Development Weatherization Project is a part of the State of Louisiana and a
nationwide Energy Conservation Program.
- To conserve energy nationwide by making repairs to houses of low income individuals that
will decrease the amount of energy used to heat and cool them.
- To lower the heating bill for elderly and disabled individuals.
Who is Eligible?
- Low income residents of East Baton Rouge Parish that meet program requirements are
eligible for weatherization services.
- In order to receive assistance, the following qualifications must be met.
- The applicant must meet the income requirements specified by the agency.
- The applicant's home must also meet certain requirements specified by the agency. The
property must be able to be properly weatherized within the cost.
- The repairs that the weatherization crew will make on your house will be energy
conservation repairs, that is, to keep cold air from seeping into your house during the
winter or cold air from seeping out during the summer months.
- This program is only for weatherization improvements. It is not a remodeling or housing
Repairs That Can Be Made and Examples
- Sealing, caulking cracks around windows and doors
- Installing weather-stripping around doors to seal them
- Replacing broken window panes
- Repairing holes in floors
- Installation of hot water heater blankets
Repairs That Cannot Be Made and Examples
- Painting (except to protect exterior wood which we have installed)
- Cosmetic Repairs, such as, interior remodeling
- We cannot install or repair screens, or screen doors
Who Does The Repair Work?
The program is operated by the Office of Community Development (OCD). The actual work
is done by the OCD Maintenance carpentry crews or by licensed contractors.
What Happens When I Apply?
Before any work is scheduled, an OCD representative will take your application to
determine your eligibility for the program. All information will be verified.
After your income eligibility is determined, an OCD representative will contact you to
inspect your home for the purpose of deciding if weatherization improvements are
You will be notified by letter of your eligibility or non-eligibility. If denied
eligibility, the letter will specify an appeal process.
Repairs are based on need, and with priority given to elderly and handicapped.
OCD Weatherization Program is for low income families who cannot afford the cost of
making the weatherized repairs. All participants must meet the following income
Each additional person over 8, add $4,080.00 per person.
Where Do I Apply?
Contact a Community Service Officer of the Office of Community Development.
Phone: (225) 389- 3039
TDD: (225) 389-3982
Discrimination in the delivery of services is prohibited. Federal Law
prohibits discrimination because of race, color, national origin, or