The Jewel J. Newman Community Center Launches Playground Capital Campaign
The KaBOOM! Dr. Pepper Snapple Group kicked off this initiative by awarding the Jewel J. Newman Community Center a grant in the amount $15,000 towards a “Community Playground Build Project."
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What type of services do you have to offer at Jewel J. Newman Community Center?
The Jewel J. Newman Community Center offers a variety of activities and
accommodations suitable for both public and private functions. The facility has both large and medium sized rooms allowing for private meetings and conferences. The
larger room serves as a game room with a supply of tables and video games. The gymnasium area is suited for most indoor league and
tournament sporting events and offers a stage and dressing area, accommodating for moderate theatrical or orchestral stage presentations. The gym features a fully-equipped kitchen.
What agencies and programs are located in the Jewel J. Newman Community Center?
The following agencies and programs are located in the center.
- Metro Councilwoman Chauna Banks-Daniel District 2 (225) 389-4699;
Mayor-President Melvin L. "Kip" Holden (225) 389-3100;
- Office of Social Services provides services for Energy
Assistance, Emergency Assistance, TANF Program, LLATP Program, FEMA Program, CSBG, Grant Program, Income Tax and Commodities) for
available funds and qualifications call (225)778-1007 or (225) 778-0969;
- Comprehensive Health & Social Services provides the following services:
- Elderly Affairs, a program designed for citizens over the age of 60 with emphasis placed on Health Screening to eligible clients;
- The Homemaker Program provides light housekeeping duties one-hour daily one day per week;
- Juvenile Delinquency Prevention Program provides non-residential prevention and diversion services
to youth and the Community through educational training in delinquency prevention and substance abuse;
- Transportation provided for enrolled participants from area schools;
- Emergency Food Pantry applications are taken Monday through Wednesday and Friday of each week from 8 a.m. til
4 p.m. Food is issued on Thursday at 1:30 p.m.;
- Summer Day Camp call (225) 775-3935 for more information.
Does JJNCC have an after school tutorial program?
Yes, the Community Center offers two sessions, from 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. and from 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
Is there a medical office or dental office located at the center?
Yes, the Jewel Newman Health Center offers health and dental services provide by Baton Rouge Primary Care Collaborative, Inc. and located in the center. For
services, hours and more information visit
Baton Rouge Primary Care Collaborative, Inc.
Is your facility available for rental functions?
Yes, JJNCC has available rental space for wedding receptions, family reunions, banquets and meetings?
Is your facility open on weekends?
Yes, our JJNCC facility is open on weekends for rental activities.
What are your hours for recreation?
Recreational hours are 3 p.m. - 8 p.m., Monday through Friday.
What type of Senior Citizen Services or Programs do you provide?
The JJNCC offers an Exercise Program, Computer Literacy Classes and Ceramic Class.
How do you apply for Food For Families/Seniors?
You can apply for Food For Families/Seniors by calling 1-800-522-3333. Food For
Families is administered by the Catholic Diocese of New Orleans.
Are Food For Families/Seniors available to pick-up commodities at the Center?
Yes, Food For Families/Seniors distribute 40 lbs. of food on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Monday of each month.