Disqualification Criteria |
Entry Process | Phases |What is Sobriety Court?
| Guiding Principles|
Research | Facts |
- 17 years of age or older
- Offender currently charged with Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) and has 1 or more prior DWI arrest(s).
- No evidence of drug dealing.
- No prior felony convictions defined as crimes of violence [L.R.S. 14:2(13)] within prior 10 years.
- Current arrest cannot be crime of violence, including domestic violence
- Other criminal proceedings alleging commission of a crime of violence cannot be pending against the offender.
- Charge cannot be DWI that resulted in the death of a person.
- Must live, work or attend school within 75 miles / 1.5 hours of Baton Rouge City Court, unless approved by Sobriety Court Team.
- Offender is alcohol dependent and desires to change his/her behavior by having a willingness to complete a treatment program and participate in recovery.
- Defendant affirms he/she will be able to attend all required court appearances, treatment sessions and support meetings.
In addition, defendants may have difficulty participating in the program if one of the following conditions exists:
- Work takes them out of town on a frequent basis.
- Resides more than 75 miles / 1.5 hours from Baton Rouge City Court.
- Lack of transportation.